X-R microphone capsules are available in eight polar pattern and sensitivity combinations:
Polar Patterns (10mm capsule unless otherwise noted):
- cardioid: vent holes without blind hole
- nearfield cardioid: vent holes with one blind hole mark
- side-address cardioid: 14mm capsule, female RCA jack output only
- cardioid, low sensitivity: vent holes with two blind hole marks oriented diagonally, representing high-frequency rolloff
- short cardioid: short body with vent holes, male RCA output only
- hypercardioid: vent holes with two blind hole marks oriented vertically, representing front and rear polar response lobes
- omnidirectional: no vent holes, without blind hole
- omnidirectional, low sensitivity: no vent holes with two blind hole marks oriented diagonally, representing high-frequency rolloff
The nearfield cardioid capsule has reduced farfield low frequency response. When placed within 30cm (1′) of the source, the capsule’s proximity effect will provide a natural tone on the source with excellent rejection of farfield low frequency signals. It is recommended for instrument mount in more difficult acoustic environments where low frequency bleed from other instruments must be rejected. It is also excellent in combination with the omnidirectional capsule using the acoustic low-pass filter; the combined pattern yields the natural low-frequency response of the omnidirectional capsule combined with the precise stereo image of a directional capsule.
The side-address cardioid is also a general use capsule, with better low-frequency extension and improved noise compared with the standard cardioid capsule. The side-address cardioid is only supplied with a female RCA jack.
The low-sensitivity cardioid and low-sensitivity omnidirectional capsules have reduced sensitivity and increased SPL handling for close-mic techniques on very loud sources, such as drums or instrument amplifiers. Both capsules have attenuated high-frequency response to yield a frequency response similar to dynamic microphones.
The short cardioid capsule is intended for use with 3D (ambisonic) surround applications. Its reduced length is designed to minimize phase differences experienced in an ambisonic decoding matrix. The short cardioid capsule is only supplied with a male RCA plug.
The hypercardioid capsule has superior rejection of off-axis signals. It is especially intended for instrument mount or stereo recording in difficult acoustic environments.
The omnidirectional capsule provides the most natural response in a freefield or in the nearfield (as when mounted on an instrument). It may also be used for farfield stereo recording in a spaced configuration using the stereo bar. It may also be used with the table mount as a boundary microphone. The optional equalization disc provides an on-axis high-frequency boost for enhanced directivity.
Capsules include windscreen.
X-R capsule outputs are inverse polarity. The X-R and X-Y amplifiers and custom output cables are designed to route the capsule signal output to the inverting pin of the corresponding XLR output connectors, such that the signal at the microphone amplifier has positive polarity.